5833_bca_picf.jpg

Ways to support breast cancer research

Every three minutes, a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer and every 13 minutes, a woman dies from the disease, according to www.komen.org. Pretty scary, huh? The good news is that there are lots of cool ways to support breast cancer research, and you don’t have to be a millionaire to do it. Here are a few simple ways you can support the “girls” during National Breast Cancer Awareness Month:

1.Avon

The Avon Foundation has created a special Pinterest board to honor those who have been affected by breast cancer. You can post and tag photos of a loved one who has passed away from breast cancer, survived or who is currently battling the disease using the hashtag #pinittoendit. During October, Avon will donate $5 for every photo posted and tagged and 50 cents for every re-pin. Avon also created a Pink Ribbon Collection including watches, ear buds and scarfs. All proceeds go to the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade. To learn more, visit www.avonfoundation.org.

2.Hungry Howie’s

The next time you need a quick fix for lunch or dinner, satisfy your appetite with Hungry Howie’s pizza. During October, all large pizzas will be served in bright pink boxes in support of breast cancer awareness month. For every large pizza ordered, Hungry Howie’s will make a donation to the National Breast Cancer Foundation and when customers donate an additional dollar, they’ll receive a Love, Hope & Pizza wristband bracelet. Hungry Howie’s will also make a donation for every new Facebook fan, every breast cancer story shared on their Facebook page and every tweet using the hashtag #lovehopepizza. For more information, visit www.hungryhowies.com.

3.OPI/Essie

Nail polish junkies don’t have to feel guilty about splurging on the latest shades because this month their money will go to a great cause. OPI has released their sixth annual Pink of Hearts duo pack—You Glitter Be Good to Me and I Think in Pink. The duo pack retails at $12 and proceeds go to Susan G. Komen for the Cure and Rethink Breast Cancer in Canada. Also, check out Essie’s Breast Cancer Awareness collection: Good Morning Hope, We’re In It Together, Check Up and I Am Strong. Each bottle retails at $8 and proceeds go to Living Beyond Breast Cancer. OPI products can be purchased at professional salons including Trade Secret, JC Penney Styling Salons and Regis Hairstylists. Essie products can be purchased at CVS, Target and Macy’s. To find a salon or store near you, visit www.opi.com and www.essie.com.

4.The Walking Company

Are you one of those girls who cannot leave the house without her UGG boots in the winter? If so, check out these UGG Australia Bailey Button boots. They’re cute, comfy and pink, and The Walking Company is donating five percent of the $164.95 purchase price to City of Hope and other local charities. To shop, visit www.thewalkingcompany.com.

5.Tanger Outlets

So, you want to spice up your wardrobe, but you don’t want to break the bank, right? Well, you’re in luck. If you buy a Pink Card from Tanger Outlets for $1, you’ll receive 25 percent off a single item purchased at participating stores (varies by state) through Oct. 25. Proceeds will be donated to local breast cancer organizations. You can purchase as many Pink Cards as you wish, so it’s good for your wallet and good for others. To purchase, visit www.tangeroutlet.com.

6.Palmer’s

Keep your skin silky smooth this winter season by stocking up on specially marked bottles of Palmer’s cocoa butter products. Fifteen percent of the proceeds will go to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure until June 30, 2013. Palmer’s products can be purchased at drug and grocery stores nationwide. For more information, visit www.komen.org/Partners/Palmers.aspx.

7.Aerie

While we’re still on the subject of the “girls,” support them (literally) by purchasing a new bra at Aerie stores. For every bra sold, Aerie will donate $1 to Bright Pink through Oct. 21. To browse through their wide selection of bras, visit www.aerie.com.

8.General Mills

Many of us may have heard about or seen the commercials about saving lids from Yoplait products in support of breast cancer. But did you know the Yoplait Save Lids to Save Lives Program is expanding to more General Mills’ brands including Honey Nut Cheerios, Nature Valley, Chex Mix and Betty Crocker? Just clip and mail in the lids or enter digital codes found on select products. For every lid received and for each code entered, General Mills will donate 10 cents to Susan G. Komen for the Cure and local charities through June 30, 2013. To learn more, go to www.savelidssavelives.com.

Hey, October is all about the “girls,” right? To learn more about breast cancer, visit www.komen.org.