Former student, racer to talk at graduation

Howard “Howdy” S. Holmes, a former auto racer and successful CEO, has been announced as the commencement speaker for Eastern Michigan University’s Dec. 16 graduation ceremony. The EMU Board of Regents approved his nomination, and also chose Holmes and Philanthropist Phillip Jenkins to receive honorary degrees, during their board meeting Oct. 30.

Holmes is a longtime supporter and former student of EMU. He left in the middle of his senior year to pursue his dream of being a race car driver.

Holmes is famously known for his auto-racing career of 20 years. He competed six times in the Indianapolis 500, where he was named Rookie of the Year in 1979. Holmes also raced in the Championship Auto Racing Teams series. He finished in the top ten 26 times, with his best finish of second place in 1984. Holmes retired after the 1988 season.

He is now the president and CEO of the Chelsea Milling Company. Holmes is the eighth generation of his family in the flour milling business and the fourth generation in Chelsea. People may know his firm for Jiffy Mix and its small, iconic blue and white boxes.

Jiffy Mix was created in 1930 by Holmes’ grandmother as the first commercially marketed biscuit mix in the U.S. The Jiffy Mix line has since expanded to include corn muffins, piecrusts, frosting and an all-purpose baking mix.

Holmes is a well-known supporter of EMU’s College of Business. He was a guest-speaker at the college’s Breakfast with the Dean event this past year where he shared his vision of what leadership is.

He has spoken to the student chapter of the American Marketing Association and hosted student members of The Association for Operations Management for a plant tour.

Holmes isn’t new to speaking at college graduation ceremonies; he was the Saginaw Valley State University commencement speaker in April 2010. Holmes will receive an honorary degree at EMU’s winter commencement.

Phillip Jenkins, philanthropist and founder of Sweepster Inc., will also be receiving an honorary doctorate of education degree, thanks to the board’s approval.

Jenkins is a resident of Dexter; he took over his family farm equipment business in 1949. Jenkins collaborated on the preliminary design of the current attachable, walk-behind, self-propelled airport runway sweepers for equipment used in airports, municipalities, agriculture and construction around the world.

Sweepster Inc. is an Earth Share of Michigan company that supports environmentally responsible workplaces.

He has funded the Jenkins-Tracy Scholarships for graduate students in EMU’s College of Education and in the Leadership and Counseling Department. The scholarships are designed to address a critical shortage of trained school administrators and counselors in the nation.

Jenkins is also a long-standing member of the University of Michigan Depression Center’s National Advisory Board. Jenkins has donated numerous generous gifts to EMU and U of M toward the treatment and prevention of depression, including $2 million to support the research of a scientist at U of M’s Depression Center and $2 million for a new building at the university.

Jenkins and Holmes will receive their degrees and Holmes will deliver his commencement speech during the Dec. 16 winter commencement at the Convocation Center at 2 p.m.