US NEWS FORTHOOD 8 DA

SVA questions claim that veterans have high dropout rate

The Huffington Post released an article Oct. 25 that said 88 percent of all veterans will drop out of college before they earn a degree. Student Veterans of America replied to these statistics and said they are completely false.

“These baseless claims are an insult to the talents, abilities and dedication of every veteran succeeding in America’s institutions of higher learning,” Michael Dakduk, executive director of SVA, said.

The SVA has repeatedly questioned the claims of such high numbers of veterans dropping out, and even some sources that were attributed to finding these statistics have said the numbers aren’t true.

Chad Storlie’s book, “Combat Leader to Corporate Leader,” was a source cited by those claiming 88 percent of all veterans drop out. He said there are no numbers in his book confirming these statistics.

“This type of incorrect information misrepresents the value that veterans bring to organizations everyday with their military and higher education skills,” Storlie said.

The SVA said tracking the graduation rates of veterans hasn’t been successfully accomplished by any organization, including the federal government.

Eastern Michigan University senior Jeff Thompson served in the U.S. Marine Corps, and was a corporal in the infantry. He deployed twice to Iraq and once to Afghanistan. He finds the numbers produced by the Huffington Post “unsubstantial.”

“I am confused by where those numbers came from,” Thompson said. “If you look at other demographics of students, I would say veterans are more prepared for college than most of the general population.”

EMU senior Cherrill Williams served in the Army, and is currently using the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill to earn a degree in computer science. She also works in the Veteran Services Office on campus. Williams said some veterans have difficulty adjusting to student life, but there are programs that can assist with the transition.

“Peer Advisors for Veteran Education is a peer-to-peer program that sets up incoming veterans with a junior or senior at EMU that is also a veteran,” Williams said. “PAVE helps the veterans that are just starting classes adapt successfully into their college careers.”

Veterans can enroll in the PAVE program by visiting the Veteran Services Office located at 246 McKenny Hall.__