Adidas dispute discussed

Students for an Ethical Participatory Education met with Eastern Michigan University President Susan Martin Friday to discuss possible violation of EMU’s Code of Conduct by Adidas.

A letter was delivered to the president’s office nearly two months ago that requested a meeting with Martin and said the school should consider terminating its licensing relationship with Adidas if workers from the PT Kizone factories in Indonesia are not compensated for labor that is still unpaid.

EMU senior and SEPE member Josiah Seng attended the meeting.

“We didn’t get any solid statements from them if they would cut Adidas, but they tended to give the impression that they’re willing to make some kind of movement in pressuring them,” Seng said. “I hope they weren’t just trying to pacify us.”

“EMU should be a leader on this issue,” Seng said. “As we’re losing time, other universities are taking the initiative. We need to take the next step and hold Adidas accountable.”

Seng also said PT Kizone has been the main focus for SEPE, and will continue to be at the forefront of their agenda until the issue is resolved.

Martin and other high-ranking EMU officials asked SEPE members questions that pertained to the PT Kizone factory, and requested more information on the subject. A second meeting has been scheduled for Dec. 20.

It had proven difficult for the organization to initially receive a response from the president. EMU graduate student Will Daniels said that SEPE organized a study-in that took place outside Martin’s office Dec. 3 in order to get her attention and set up a meeting.

“It started at 11 a.m. and we asked for Sue Martin,” Daniels said.

“The secretary said she would be busy with meetings and wasn’t available. However, five minutes later she came out of her office and set up a meeting. It was a success.”

Alex Upham graduated from EMU and now teaches at Little Lake Learning Community. He brought five of his students to Martin’s office to learn about PT Kizone during the study-in.

“The students that participated were interested in the topic beforehand,” Upham said. “They received a lot of good information about labor relations and sweatshops.”

Upham said SEPE accomplished its goal at the study-in, but it was unfortunate the meeting with Martin took place after the Board of Regents meeting.

“It is an issue that should be brought up to the people that can make the necessary changes,” Upham said.