Men’s swimming falls to U of M

Despite senior Jacob Hanson breaking the record in the 200 backstroke, Eastern Michigan University fell to the top-ranked University of Michigan Wolverines 196-133 Friday.

Hanson finished at 1 minute, 45.82 seconds.

“It was fun to see him [Hanson] do something like that,” EMU head coach Peter Linn said.

Hanson was the one of the few bright spots on a day that unfortunately saw Michigan take 16 of the 18 events.

In the 160-medley relay, the EMU quartet consisting of seniors Jacob Hanson and Mike Swain, junior Dexter Foos and freshman Krzysztof Gilski finished third at 1:08.99.

Gilski also finished fourth in the 100 butterfly with a time of 50.03.

In the 500 freestyle, sophomore Franco Petrone had the lowest time for the Eagles, finishing in fourth in 4:36.58.

Foos finished fourth for in the 40 freestyle and third in the 100-freestyle with times of 16.48 and 46.27, respectively.

EMU sophomore Brian Moore and junior Gus Everson finished third and fourth in the 100 freestyle, completing the distance with times of 46.40 and 47.37, respectively.

Swain had his best showing in the 200 breaststroke, finishing in second with a time of 2:01.23, as well as finishing third in the 100 freestyle with a time of 55.88.

In the one-meter dive, EMU senior Andrew Saunders continued to impress by placing second with a score of 297.29.

Senior Jeffrey Craig had the only other first-place finish for the
Eagles with a score of 386.41 in the three-meter dive.

For the Wolverines, the story of the day was record after record being broken.

U of M freshmen Dylan Bosch highlighted the records by dominating the entire field in the 200 butterfly, finishing first at 1:46.78.
In the loss, Linn found some positive developments from the team that can be carried into the remaining meets.

“I thought we raced very well,” Linn said. “Michigan is one of the top swimming programs in the country. They are currently ranked No. 1 in the country. It was an opportunity to swim with some faster people around and measure yourself. Obviously, there were some races that they were way better than we were, but I thought we raced pretty well and I’m very happy at where we are at.”

Linn also mentioned having to improve on techniques for future meets.

“I still think that we have technical things that we have to work on,” Linn said. “It’s pretty obvious that we have to do some work on our turns. The one thing about this kind of course is that it makes your turn work real obvious when you make your mistake.”

Meet Notes:

With the loss, EMU falls to 0-30 all-time to Michigan in dual meets.
The last year where records were kept in 20-yard races was 1967.

Michigan won five of the first six events before the first break of the meet.

All swims in the meet were run in a 20-yard distance as opposed to the standard 25 yards in order to have more records shattered.

Before Hanson broke the record in the 200 backstroke, the previous record holder was Pete Siebert of Stanford University, who set the record of 2:04.00 July 25, 1964.

Looking Ahead:

On Saturday, the Eagles will travel to Muncie, Ind. to take on the Ball State Cardinals in a dual meet.

Both the men’s and women’s teams will travel together to Muncie, but their scoring will remain separate from each other.

Meet time is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.

The Eagles will travel again to Buffalo, N.Y. Jan. 26 to take on the University at Buffalo.

EMU returns back to the Jones Natatorium Feb. 2 for their final home meet against the Miami-Ohio Redhawks.