The Brass Roots Trio will perform Wednesday at Pease Auditorium.

Brass Roots Trio to play free concert at EMU

The renowned Brass Roots Trio will be visiting Eastern Michigan University, playing a free concert at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 13 at Pease Auditorium.

The brass ensemble fuses jazz, Latin, Americana and classical varieties to form their own energetic style of music.

“They have a very different program,” Carter Eggers, trumpet professor at EMU said. “It’s very enjoyable.”

The Brass Roots Trio includes founder Rosetta Senkus Bacon on piano, Dan Wions on horn and Thomas Boulton, an EMU graduate, on trumpet.

The EMU Department of Music and Dance invited the ensemble to play on campus after Eggers heard them play last year at the First United Methodist Church in Chelsea, Mich.

According to Eggers, the Trio often takes breaks from their musical performance to talk and engage the audience on a more personal level.

“They are really personable with the audience,” Eggers said. “It feels like they’re relating back and forth with the audience, and it’s not like you’re just watching a concert. I think people will really enjoy it.”

The Brass Roots Trio performed at the White House in 2009, and has played in all four corners of the United States and all over the world including Mexico, Switzerland and Taiwan.

The concert is free and open to the public. Admission is first come, first serve, so it is recommended that you arrive early to ensure seating.

EMU’s Department of Music and Dance schedules many concerts throughout the year. The department’s website, www.emich.edu/music, lists its upcoming events.

For more information about the Brass Roots Trio or to sample their music, visit www.BrassRootsTrio.com.