No. 2 ranked DJ Tiesto brings DJ Quintino and DJ Tommy Trash to the Convocation Center.

DJ Tiesto brings ‘electro’ to EMU

For electronic dance music fans all across Michigan, the anticipation to see Tiësto has been building since tickets went on sale last summer, but the wait is finally over. The famous Dutch DJ is coming to rock the Eastern Michigan University Convocation Center next Wednesday.

After successfully bringing electronic dance music to college campuses across the country in 2011, Tiësto has returned to EMU for the second installment of his “Club Life College Invasion Tour.” This year, he’s bringing with him fellow Dutch DJ Quintino, whom he has named breakthrough DJ of 2012, and Australian electro house DJ Tommy Trash.

Tiësto is internationally known for his trance, progressive house and electro house sets and holds the No. 2 spot in DJ Mag’s Top 100 DJs for 2012 (ranking above familiar names like Avicii, David Guetta and Deadmau5). He has consistently been ranked among the top three DJs for years and claimed the No. 1 spot from 2002-04.

Tiësto became the first DJ to play live at the Olympics when he performed at the 2004 opening ceremony in Athens, Greece.

Since 2010, Tiësto’s popularity has skyrocketed in the U.S. along with the rise of electronic dance music as a whole. Last year’s “Club Life College Invasion Tour” broke records with a sold-out 26,000 seat show in Los Angeles.

The Convocation Center is currently holding a competition on their Facebook page to win a meet and greet with Tommy Trash. Anyone who takes a picture of themselves holding a ticket to the concert and posts it on the Convocation Center Facebook wall will be entered into the contest. The winner will be announced by 5 p.m. on Friday. A similar contest was held last week to win a chance to meet Tiësto.

The concert at the Convocation Center was originally scheduled for Oct. 11, 2012, but was postponed after Tiësto suffered a back injury and was advised to take time off. Tickets purchased for last year’s cancelled tour date will be honored at next week’s rescheduled event.

Main floor and student-priced tickets to the concert are sold out. General admission lower bowl tickets can be purchased for $30 at www.emutix.com or at any EMU ticket office.

Fans from the University of Michigan, Michigan State University and Central Michigan University can also purchase tickets online and take a bus to the Convocation Center from their respective campus, provided by promotion company Prime Social Group.

Doors to the concert are scheduled to open at 6:30 p.m., and the show will start at 7:30 p.m. The Convocation Center is located at 799 N. Hewitt Road in Ypsilanti.