EMU invests in housing, security, dining

Cost of living on campus to increase $311 in upcoming academic year

Room and board rates are going up at Eastern Michigan University to help pay for residence hall renovations.

The EMU Board of Regents decided to increase the room and board fees by 3.75 percent, raising the annual price from $8,286 to $8,597 (a $311 increase), at their last meeting.

The price of apartments is also being raised by 1.55 percent, which will increase the cost depending on the rate of the apartment. The price increases will go into effect for the 2013-14 school year.

EMU has three apartment complexes and 12 residence halls that are expected to hold about 4,000 students in the 2013-14 academic year.

With that many students paying an extra $311, the university expects to have enough money for upcoming renovations in housing and dining facilities.

In the fall 2012 semester, EMU had a record 3,761 students living on campus, which is the largest number of resident students EMU has had since 2003. The increased enrollment numbers have been partly attributed to the continuing renovations to the dining and
residence halls.

Recent renovations include the replacement of windows of four residence halls and in the Brown-Munson Apartments. For the incoming class of 2013, Best Hall will undergo renovations. EMU has also invested in expanding its wireless Internet and increasing
technology in classrooms.

Junior Jonathan McCleery, who lived on campus for a year in the Pittman Residence Hall, said the price increase is needed.

“When I lived there, the windows were a bit sketchy, so I’m glad that they fixed those,” he said. “Yeah, it sucks that the price is being increased, but they need to get the money somewhere so that’s where it should be from.”

EMU has also focused on improving security in the residence halls.
Electronic card readers have been installed on all residence hall entrances. The first-year center, which includes the Sellers, Phelps, Walton and Putnam halls, now has card readers for the exterior doors and the corridor doors that lead to rooms. Each room in the first-year center also has self-locking doors that operate by key card access.

Sophomore Brighton Gates said she likes the idea of increased security, especially with the recent murder of EMU student Julia Niswender.

“It’ll bring more people to campus,” she said. “It’s nice to know that when you go into your dorm at night, no one can follow you or get in by themselves.”

Some students expressed concerns about the use of new technology.
“When the technology works, it’s really cool. But half the time, it doesn’t work,” EMU freshman Claira Sudduth said.” Or sometimes the worst part is when the professors don’t know how to use it. Maybe they should teach professors how to use the technology.”