Part of the Warner pool pump system is in need of replacement.

Rec/IM dealing with financial issues; needs several repairs

Eastern Michigan University’s Rec/IM center is suffering from financial difficulties.

The Rec/IM faces a series of problems. The roof for the center’s Olympic-sized Jones Natatorium swimming pool leaks when it rains and traps humidity causing it to rust. Cracks are forming on the center’s walls, some of the wood is beginning to warp in the center’s racquetball courts, and some pieces of equipment need to be replaced.

Associate Director for the Rec/IM Louis Gianino said, “We’re 30 years old and things are starting to give. Some work needs to be done to repair and replace.”

The Rec/IM’s financial problems began last year when the pump system for the Jones pool, the larger of the two swimming pools located in the Rec/IM, failed and had to be completely replaced.

“It lasted 30 years,” Gianino said. “It was only designed for 10.”

The Rec/IM’s other pool, the Warner Gymnasium club pool, faces similar problems.

“The Warner pool is older,” Gianino said. “Everything down there is older. I’m afraid something’s going to happen.”

Replacing the pump system depleted the Rec/IM’s reserve fund. As a result of the repairs and the continued cost of operating the center, the Rec/IM is $105,000 in debt.

“We’re going to be in a deficit for the first time in 32 years,” Gianino said. “We can’t do it on our own any longer.”

Gianino expects to make enough to eliminate the debt over the course of the year, but rebuilding the center’s reserve funds will be difficult.

“We have no funds left,” Gianino said. “I’m hoping if we’re frugal and we have some funds near the end of next year we can do something.”

Gianino and the Rec/IM’s staff have implemented several cost-cutting measures, including not hiring their yearly aquatic consultant, not replacing certain staff positions once the current employee leaves, closing the Rec/IM on certain days, and delaying the purchasing of new equipment for the Rec/IM’s weight rooms.

“We spend $30,000 – $40,000 annually on weight room equipment, but we can’t do it this year because the pump room needed replacement,” Gianino said.

Workers at the Rec/IM have begun sewing old filters for the Warner pool back together to avoid having to buy new ones.

Other major pieces of equipment are also starting to malfunction, such as the Rec/IM’s elevator, which is the second oldest on campus.

“I got stuck in it the other day,” Gianino said. “I was trying to go to the first floor, and it must have missed the floor by an inch or so and wouldn’t open. I pressed the button to go back to the third floor and then went back to the first and it worked that time, but I don’t know how many other people would have thought to do that.”

EMU’s Rec/IM is one of the oldest college recreation centers in Michigan.

“The Rec/IM opened in 1982, and nothing’s been done to the facility since then. No renovations have been done by the university,” Gianino said.

Gianino said he thinks it’s time for a renovation and possibly an addition as well. He also said plans for renovating the center were made 10 years ago and are “still viable.”

“We’re in decent shape for a 31-year-old building, but we don’t compare to newer centers on other college campuses,” Gianino said. “Newer recs on other campuses have already renovated their facilities. Bowling Green has renovated for its second time since then.”

EMU students asked about the topic tended to share similar views about the Rec/IM.

EMU freshman and elementary special education major, Jill Romick said, “I feel like in here could be better. The ab machine has been broken for a while, which kind of sucks.”

She also said she thought the Rec/IM should be open longer.

EMU freshman and member of the Eagles baseball team, Darius Jackson, said, “I think it’s nice, but some parts could be updated.

Jackson specifically mentioned the weight room as one part of the Rec/IM in need of improvement.

“Some equipment is over-dated,” Jackson said.

Farah Abunab, an EMU senior majoring in biology said she thought the Rec/IM was “pretty nice,” but that some parts of it were “kind of old.”

Jeff Phillips, a graduate assistant working at the Rec/IM, expressed similar thoughts.

“Knowing how the Rec is budgeted, I’m surprised it does as well as it does,” Phillips said.
“It’s a nice facility, but some of this equipment is getting old,” he said. “The equipment is well maintained, but the humidity and wear gets to it.”

Michael Fox, EMU’s executive director of financial planning and budgets commented on the possibility of the Rec/IM receiving future renovations.

“There are a lot of major projects that need funding,” he said.

At this time, Fox could not elaborate on what projects could receive funding for next year.

“The budget will be approved in June,” he said. “We’ll know more then.”

Fox also said EMU students are an important part of the Board of Regents decision-making process.

“The most important factor in what the board chooses is what the students say,” Fox said. “Students’ voices are a significant factor.”

EMU’s Board of Regents toured the Rec/IM after last week’s meeting but have yet to comment on the situation.

Visit The Eastern Echo’s website at easternecho.com for additional photos of the Rec/IM.