Some EMU books scarce

Acquiring required reading materials for courses is presenting several challenges for students at Eastern Michigan University.

Many of the classes at EMU have required reading materials in addition to the standard textbooks.
Although these materials are used as an important part of the course curriculum, students are reporting difficulties in locating them.

“In biology there was an additional textbook along with the regular textbook that I couldn’t find the right one, even on Amazon,” said EMU psychology major Jasmine Poston. “Only two people in the class were ever able to find [it].”

Publishing companies aren’t producing large quantities of many of the required readings. Large class sizes, particularly in upper level courses required for graduation, cause more demand than supply. While some books can be found at off-campus book stores and online, older publications and special EMU editions are especially difficult to locate.

“In one class, I had to drive to Ann Arbor to get a course peg. Special Eastern editions and course pegs can be really hard to find,” said Taurie Davis, a junior in the elementary and childhood education program.

Sociology major Kerry Ellington said, “I wasn’t able to buy a copy of ‘The Brothers Karamazov’ for my philosophy of religion class last semester. Our library only has a few copies of the book, and they were checked out almost as quickly as they were returned. I feel I would’ve gotten a better grade in the class had I been able to find a printed copy of the book, because many of the questions on tests and my midterm were about that particular book.”

Students reported similar challenges in childrens literature, theater and African-American studies.
In addition to difficulty locating required reading, students also reported other challenges with materials. Entire classes having difficulty locating assigned online articles and expensive materials were common among students interviewed. Students reported copies of required reading materials costing as much as $200 to rent.

Some courses supply their students with required materials, or extend class deadlines if the majority of a class report having trouble locating copies. Some students look for Cliff Notes if they can’t find a printed copy of a book, and in some cases they had difficulties finding useable online sources.

Students registering for high volume courses should purchase their materials as soon as possible to avoid high demands and lack of supply. Otherwise, locate a study buddy or group to share copies when materials are scarce.