The race will begin at 8 a.m. and start in Depot Town at Cross and River streets.

The Color Run will return to Ypsilanti streets May 11

The streets of Ypsilanti will be littered with colorful footprints and people as it welcomes the return of The Color Run, renowned as “The happiest 5k on the planet.”

The race begins at 8 a.m. May 11, but it isn’t a competitive race by any means. No winners are dubbed and no times are recorded. Participants are encouraged to go at their own pace, with the focus more on the fun to be had when a different color of powder fills the air, dousing the runners at every kilometer mark.

The Color Run traveled to 50 cities all over the country last year, with over 600,000 participants. According to promoters of The Color Run, there will be more than 10,000 runners participating in the Ypsilanti race. The event received most of its buzz from the Facebook page that reached one million likes and the YouTube page that has more than four million views. The only objectives of the run are to promote happiness, health and individuality while simultaneously bringing the community together.

“We call The Color Run the ‘happiest 5K on the planet’ because our events bring together friends and family in a unique, healthy and fun environment,” Travis Snyder, founder of The Color Run, said in their press release. “Our only rules are that people wear white and prepare to be covered in color at the finish.”

The starting line is set to be in Depot Town by the corner of Cross and River streets. The route roughly heads along East Forest Avenue, onto North Huron Street, then to Lowell and Hamilton streets, Michigan Avenue and others in a cross formation. The finish line and colorful festival finale is at Riverside Park.

“Color Runners” have no set demographic–all ages are welcome. Most people who join The Color Run aren’t devoted runners, and participants span from people simply wanting to accomplish a fun event to people who honor loved ones who have passed away from or are currently fighting diseases.

Last year, thousands of runners were soaked in clouds of color and celebrated in the streets in the summer sunshine.

“After last year’s hugely successful event we’re thrilled to have The Color Run return to Ypsilanti,” Debbie Locke-Daniel, executive director of the Ypsilanti Area Convention and Visitors Bureau, said in the release. “We love seeing the thousands of smiles and people of all ages having a great time in Ypsi.”

Every year, The Color Run chooses community charities to donate money, and Growing Hope, Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels and SOS Community Services, among others, are included this year. The event’s sponsor and official ride of The Color Run is the 2013 Chevrolet Spark, which features a multicolor paint scheme over a white base that is specifically designed to represent the look of a color-drenched runner.

More information about the run is available at visitypsinow.com/color-run, and registered participants can pick up the necessary pre-runner’s packet at The Color Run Race Village in Riverside Park or plan to arrive early and receive the packet before the race. Items in the packet include a T-shirt, race bib, The Color Run tattoo, Color Runner headband and of course the crown jewel, your personal packet of color, which is encouraged to be saved until the festival after the run is completed.