June is the month to add a furry friend

During the spring season the Humane Society and other cat rescues are bombarded with cute and cuddly kittens adding to the already full house of cats waiting for a loving home.

Whether you are considering the joys of becoming a first-time cat owner or thinking about adding a new friend to your furry family, the month of June is a perfect time to adopt. During spring, literally thousands of warm, loving kittens are donated to shelters across Michigan which leads many to unofficially dub this “kitten season.”

Sadly, many of these animals will never find a family and spend most of their nine lives under the care of an adoption agency such as the Humane Society. There just aren’t enough homes to meet the numbers of kittens waiting for adoption. This season you can help by adopting your own special friend and in turn reap the benefits. Some people believe that owning a cat can actually increase your standard of living.

The bond that you share with your new friend has been thought to provide a healthier life. Cat owners are believed to have a lowered risk of cardiovascular disease and heart attack as well as an increased immune system. In addition, some cat owners will tell you that your furry companion “knows” when you are sick and will rush to comfort you, reducing your recovery time. Other studies have suggested that introducing a child to a pet, specifically a cat or dog, will help reduce their chances of developing allergies and asthma. In addition, some studies have linked cat ownership to such health benefits as lowered blood pressure, reduced risk of stroke, reduced stress and anxiety and an improvement to your overall mood while also aiding with depression.

Right now there are many playful kittens, mellow cats and every type in between waiting to become your new best friend. The adoption process is quick and easy, meaning you can bring your cute kitten home the same day in most cases.

The Humane Society is by far the best option for adopting of a cat or kitten. All cats adopted to through this agency are given extensive veterinarian care prior to being released, checking for common health problems that occur in animals. Immunizations are up to date and a detailed record is kept of all visits to the veterinarian during their stay. In addition, each animal is spayed or neutered and microchipped for easy tracking if your kitten becomes lost.

There are a few important tips you should keep in mind when you plan to adopt your new kitten. Bring all family members with you the day of adoption to assure the new animal will cohabitate easily with everyone. This includes any furry members of your family such as a dog or another cat.

Be sure you choose a cat or kitten that matches your personality. At the Humane Society you will find a brief description of each cat’s personality listed on the front of their cage. Before you bring your new friend home, make sure you cat-proof the house and prepare with the needed supplies including a litter box and food. Most importantly, don’t forget your cat carrier to transport him or
her home.

There are so many loving kittens just waiting to meet you at your local shelter so take advantage of kitten season this year and start a great relationship with a new furry friend today. There are many locations near Ypsilanti that you can visit in the search for your special kitten. Please visit the Humane Society website at michiganhumane.org for a complete listing of locations and hours. You can also browse their listings of kittens that are currently ready to come home with you, complete with photos history and personality traits. It never hurts to look and it definitely doesn’t hurt to add some love to your life with a new pet.