Cross-country wins MIC at Hillsdale

Eastern Michigan University’s men’s cross-country team took part in the Michigan Intercollegiate Championships at Hillsdale College’s Hayden Park on Friday, Oct. 11.

EMU’s team dominated the meet, taking the overall team title. The Eagles finished with 32 points while Big Ten contender Michigan State University came in second place with 75. Saginaw Valley State University followed in third with 92 points.

Despite warm weather conditions that made distance running difficult, freshman John Knox led the race with a first place time of 25:50.54 over the difficult, hilly 8,000 meter course.

Five other runners earned “All-Michigan” recognition, placing in the top 10 for National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I runners. Redshirt junior Ian Hancke placed fifth overall with a time of 26:24.74.

Other runners named to the All-Michigan team include junior Cameron Trinh (26:29.16), sophomore Austin Lane (26:43.66), and freshman Nick Raymond (26:43.96) who came in seventh, ninth and 10th place respectively. Sophomore William Trice (27:09.32) was also named to the All-Michigan team.

“It was certainly nice to see freshman John Knox win his first intercollegiate event,” EMU head coach John Goodridge said. “John ran a very smart race and was tenacious as this course was brutal with a steep long hill, lots of rolling hills and rough turf footing.”

With five of the Green and White’s runners placing in the top 10 out of a field of 98, EMU is poised to defend its Mid-American Conference championship title. The total time for the Eagles was 2:12:12.06 with an average time of 26:26.42.

“I’m quite pleased with the guy’s effort and results today,” Goodridge said. “Particularly since some of them were trained very hard this week, so they were racing tired. This did not deter them from competing hard on perhaps the toughest cross country course we have ever run. So I saw not only physical but mental development.”

Looking Ahead:

The Eagles will be racing for another victory in Terre Haute, Ind. on Friday, Oct. 18 at the Pre-NCAA Invitational. The meet will begin at 11:00 a.m.