Two men arrested in connection with Reed homicide

Two men have been arrested in connection with the murder of Eastern Michigan University football player Demarius Reed, according to court records.

The Ann Arbor News reported that Ed Jemeal Thomas and Kristopher Kaivon Pratt, both 20, face charges murder and robbery charges.

Neither of the men are EMU students.

Pratt was also involved in an armed robbery at Eastland Center mall in Harper Woods in early November.

Thomas is currently being held in the Washtenaw County Jail and Pratt is being held at the Wayne County Jail, according to The Ann Arbor News.

According a release from Geoff Larcom, EMU’s executive director of media relations, Thomas was arraigned and charged Sunday.

According to the Ann Arbor News, Pratt is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday.

EMU President Susan Martin issued a statement praising the work of the Ypsilanti Police Department, as well as the university’s police force.

“We are extremely grateful for the work and dedication of the Ypsilanti Police Department and our Department of Public Safety detectives in identifying suspects in this tragic and senseless crime against a wonderful student and inspiring young man,” she said. “The prayers and thoughts of the Eastern Michigan community remain with the family and close friends of Demarius Reed. We will continue to collaborate with the City of Ypsilanti, Ypsilanti Township and the Washtenaw County Sheriff in ensuring the safety and security of our staff and students.”

In a statement issued by the YPD, Interim Chief Tony DiGiusti cautioned people against dropping their guard, despite the arrests.

“I realize that these arrests will bring a sense of relief,” DiGiusti stated in the release. “However, it should not affect the level of vigilance that should be exercised regarding personal safety. People should still travel in groups when they can, they should avoid risk-taking behaviors, they should still be aware of their environment and most importantly people need to call the police when they see something suspicious. Everyone needs to be an active component of the community. We are still interested in any information regarding this case and encourage people to step forward.”

Reed, 20, originally from Chicago, was found shot and killed inside University Green apartments back in October.

More details to come as the story develops.

Follow Al Willman on Twitter: @AlWillmanEcho

Follow Jess J. Salisbury on Twitter: @JessJSalisbury