EMU student struck by stray bullet at Peninsular Place

The Ypsilanti Police Department is investigating an incident early Tuesday morning where an Eastern Michigan University student was struck by a bullet, which was fired into her Peninsular Place apartment building.

According to a release issued by YPD, the 20-year old female student woke up with pain in her shoulder and was treated at the scene, before being sent to an area hospital where it was discovered she had a bullet lodged in her left shoulder.

According to a timely warning issued by EMU, the gunshot was fired into the air, where it then entered the apartment, striking the victim.

Further investigation by Ypsilanti police indicated numerous calls due to “multiple shots fired”.

At this time, there is no specific information on the suspect. However, according to the YPD release, a blue Ford Mustang was seen leaving the area at a high rate of speed. Police are looking for the vehicle.

Anyone with information is asked to contact YPD Detective Sergeant Thomas Eberts at (734)-482-9878 or Crimestoppers at 1-800-SPEAKUP (773-2587).

The Department of Public Safety would like to remind the University Community to:
• Be aware of your surroundings and look assertive.
• Walk with friends or coworkers when possible.
• Program the number for EMU Police (734-487-1222) into your cell phone.
• Check the EMU Public Safety website for additional safety tips: http://www.emich.edu/publicsafety/police/services/prevention/safety_tips.php

Social Media

Follow Al Willman on Twitter: @AlWillmanEcho

Update: Read Editor-in-Chief Jess J. Salisbury’s full article on the shooting here. Stay with the Echo as more updates become available.