Diversity Council holds Around the World in One Night

Around the World in One Night, hosted by Eastern Michigan University’s Diversity Council, was held on Jan. 31 in the Student Center Ballroom. The event revealed how diverse EMU’s campus really is, with food, music and displays which all centered around different cultures.

The event began at 6:00 p.m. and, as soon as you entered the room, you were treated to a table full of incredibly diverse selections of food. Options included tzatzki sauce, spanakopita, samosa and hummus. Meanwhile, the displays focused on topics like the Korean Language and the Middle East.

Omar Tibi, a Syrian-American who helped with the Middle East display, said that he hoped students left the event with a better understanding of Middle Eastern culture. He said that while many people may recognize things like a doumbek drum or a hookah, “they may not understand what they mean or what their relevance is.”

Senior accounting major Umar Rabbimov felt that the event was a good celebration of diversity, saying, “You look around, and you’ve got everyone from all around the world. It’s a great way to bring people together.”

Along with the displays, there was also music and dancing. Seeing people from different countries and with different backgrounds step onto the dance floor proved Rabbimov’s point – the event had brought everyone together.