Edward Snowden nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Edward Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor now believed to be living in asylum in Russia, has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Snowden, 30, has been on the run from the U.S. intelligence community since leaking sensitive documents detailing the Obama administration’s meta-data surveillance activities to British newspaper The Guardian.

Snowden’s nomination has been controversial due to his differences with the US government, and Eastern Michigan University students have their own opinions about whether he is worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize.

“I think it’s a good thing because I think he was promoting freedom of speech,” transfer student Amelia Hassong said. “And overall I would say he did it for a greater good. I think he’s a whistleblower.”

Shanna Gilkeson, a written communication grad student said she was confused by Snowden’s nomination.

“I think he intended to be a whistleblower,” Gilkeson said. “I haven’t made up my mind. I think it’s one of those things where there’s no easy answer.”

Adrenne Wallinge, a special education freshman, is unimpressed by Snowden, stating that she felt his nomination was a joke.

Ellie DeMattia, a junior majoring on sociology, said she thinks the information Snowden shared about the NSA is more helpful than hurtful in the long run because she believes in the truth.

“I feel that the more people know about what is going on, the more they can either accept or reject the policy that,” DeMattia said. “That said, I’m not sure the award for peace is too far out of the realm of possibility for a case like this one.”

According to CNN, Snowden said he would return to the U.S., if he was given whistleblower protection.

“Returning to the U.S., I think, is the best resolution for the government, the public and myself,” Snowden Tweeted in a recent Twitter conversation with CNN anchor Jake Tapper, “but it’s unfortunately not possible in the face of current whistleblower protection laws which through a failure of law did cover national security contractors like myself.”

Norwegian lawmakers Bard Vegar Solhjell and Snorre Valen, both members of the Socialist Left Party, nominated Snowden for the Nobel Peace Prize.

In Norway, members of Parliment are able to nominate candidates. Unusually, they decided to reveal his candidacy immediately. Normally, candidates for all Nobel Prizes are kept confidential for 50 years.

“There is no doubt that the actions of Edward Snowden may have damaged the security interests of several nations in the short term. We do not necessarily condone or support all of his disclosures,” said the statement by Solhjell and Valen. “We are, however, convinced that the public debate and changes in policy that have followed in the wake of Snowden’s whistle blowing has contributed to a more stable and peaceful world order.”

Snowden is still in Russia, where he was granted a year’s asylum in June of last year. Snowden still faces espionage and theft of government property charges. The Obama administration has been yet to comment on Snowden’s nomination.