Eastern Michigan sophomore Khadijah Hudson finishes up her floor routine in the Eagles 195.925-194.600 loss to Central Michigan Friday night.

EMU gymnastics loses to Central Michigan

The Eastern Michigan University’s women’s gymnastics team lost to Central Michigan University 195.925 to 194.600 on Feb. 7.

This was EMU’s first home meet of the season and head coach Steve Wilce remained proud of his team despite the loss.

“Again we competed very well and pushed a top 20 team to the very end,” Wilce said, “This team continues to grow and will be very competitive at the end of the year.”

The Eagles were led by senior co-captain Ashley Quinton, who tied a personal best with a 9.825.
Quinton was one of three Eagles to score a career-high at the meet, along with Ariyanna Smith, with a 9.775, and Bianca Jordaan, with a 9.700.

Coach Wilce had all positive things to say about his team. He credited Chantel Loehner for her excellent floor performance with a 9.700, and praised Kimberly Ebeyer for her good all-around performance as she competed in every event aside from the bars.

Other leaders for EMU were Anna Willette in both the vault and beam events with a 9.800 in both.
Willette tied CMU gymnast Taylor Noonan for first place on the beam. Quinton led EMU on the bars, while Kaylee Meyers scored a 9.800 on the floor to lead the Eagles.

Other contributors were sophomore Khadijah Hudson, senior Shawna Ciaramella, and freshman Natalie Gervais.

Gervais was EMU’s second leading scorer on the beam with 9.725. Hudson took second for EMU in the vault with a 9.775 and tied with Ciaramella for second on the floor with 9.750.

While optimistic, Wilce said that his team could use some improvement in their landings, more specifically on how many steps they take upon landing.

Overall though Wilce said that his team is still motivated and ready to move on for the next meet and not discouraged by the loss.

The loss dropped EMU to 2-6 overall and 0-3 in the Mid-American Conference.

Eastern meets against Western Michigan University on Feb, 16 at Bowen Field House for a 7 p.m. start.

“They (the team) are motivated by their scores when they are doing this well, it is easy to stay motivated,” Wilce said, “Score-wise it is one of our better starts in years, the wins will start to come if they keep competing like this.”