A taste of student art

The Intermedia Gallery Group opened its Annual Juried Student Show on Monday, Jan. 12. Undergraduate student art is on display in the Ford Gallery, Monday and Thursday from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday from 10 a.m. - 7 p.m., and Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. until Feb. 11.

Students from the 10 areas of concentration in the Art Department applied for the opportunity to be featured in the show.

Renee Bradley, a sophomore majoring in Art Education, said this is the first time she has had her work in a gallery showing.

“It’s exciting,” Bradley said. “I really feel like I’m about to take my art to the next level. I keep pushing myself because this is all I have.”

In addition to having their work featured, the artists are also competing for first, second and third place at the reception on Jan. 21 from 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. Awards will be announced at 5:30 p.m. Winners will receive prize money collected from the application fee.

Local artists and husband and wife Graem Whyte and Fania Lerman will be judging the artwork. Together they create the team behind Popps Packing, an exhibition space in Hamtramck, Mich.

The artwork on display showed the range of the art department. One piece depicted several girls, outlined in loose, gray lines, their feet pierced with colorful thread. Another piece looked to be an extremely detailed painting from afar. Upon closer inspection it turn out to be a collage; the pieces are put together so well even when they are jigsawed together it looked fluid.

Simply put, the art was incredible, and by extension so are the students who put them together. Show them support by checking out the gallery and attending the reception to see who wins.