Do you know your vagina?

It should go without saying that we all should know our bodies and how it functions. Seems simple enough yet, there’s still a level of embarrassment or even shame that causes people to whisper at the simple mention of the word vagina.

Yes, even in the 21st century society still writes off the most natural and complex part of the female body as weird, unclean or disgusting. Although sex education has come a long way over the years, there’s still college-age women who are unaware or still have many questions about their lady regions that they are too afraid to ask about. So in spirit of cervical awareness month, here’s some reasons why you might want to change that and get to know yourself a little better.

For your health, cervical cancer is not only the cause of death for millions of women in the U.S., but it is also one of the most common types of cancers found in women that can be passed through family bloodlines. It is commonly found in women who are either smokers, have HIV/AIDS virus, maintains a poor diet or in women who’ve had the HPV virus. Symptoms can include pain or bleeding before, after or during sexual intercourse, heavier or longer bleeding during periods or increased vaginal discharge.

Health concerns should always be a woman’s priority, but a woman also needs to know her body for pleasure purposes. We as humans are naturally wired to connect sex with pleasure. Knowing how your body works is a great way to make you feel more confident and secure. It will take the pressure off when you know what’s going on with your body and why. If you don’t know your own body, how do you expect anyone else to?

By talking about a topic that seems to be social taboo, you can help others through advocating about the risks of endometriosis or cervical cancer and why proper education about the female body as a whole is important.

It takes a person who is easier to relate to through age, stage in life or experience to really make the right sort of impact. By openly speaking about cervical cancer, menstruation facts or myths and other topics, you’re able to let women know the power that lies in knowing about their body and how to better take care of it.