EMU women's basketball defeats Toledo Rockets 75-61

Eastern Michigan University’s women’s basketball team earned an impressive win against the Toledo Rockets, beating the MAC west competitors 75-61 this Saturday in Toledo.

This game marks the first MAC road victory for the Eagles, and places them at 3-3 in conference. This is the first time Eastern has defeated Toledo since the 2011-2012 season.

“To come to Toledo in this hostile environment and to get a road win here is absolutely fantastic,” coach Tory Verdi said.

Cha Sweeney led in scoring, adding 23 points to the game. Sasha Dailey was the only other player to add double-digit points with 14. This game was especially important for these two Toledo natives, who both had an impressive performance in their hometown.

The Rockets took control of the game at the beginning, and Eastern was not ahead until a 9-point run half way through the first quarter which gave the Eagles their first lead at 17-14.

The Rockets continued to struggle against the Eagles defense and went into halftime trailing the Eagles by 8 with the score standing at 37-29.

Early three-point baskets from Sweeney combined with an 11-0 run in the second half were just some of the offensive attacks Eastern brought to the table. Toledo was unable to match the intensity, and the Eagles capitalized off the Rockets 19 turnovers as they continued to pull away.

An 11-0 run with 5:45 left in the game, along with seven free throws, cemented the win for the Eagles. When the buzzer sounded the score was 75 EMU, 61 UofT.

Verdi had only positive things to say after the game.

“Our kids have been growing day by day and I’m so proud of their effort and their commitment and their investment,” he said.

Next MAC action for the lady Eagles will be this Wednesday when they take on the Western Michigan Broncos in Kalamazoo.