Eastern Michigan sophomore Sydney McEachern competes on the floor in the Eagles 193.925-187.200 victory over Temple University Friday night in Ypsilanti.

EMU Gymnastics vaults into the top 25 nationally

Eastern Michigan University’s gymnastics team broke into the national spotlight being ranked as one of the top 25 programs in the country on Jan. 12.

Gym Info, the official NCAA national ranking for collegiate gymnastics, placed EMU at 24 nationally. EMU ranked seventh in the central region, and second in the MAC behind Bowling Green.

“I think being in the top 25 to start the season speaks a lot to all the hard work this group has put in during the preseason,” head coach Jay Santos said in a statement. “I'm really happy for the girls; with the coaching change this year, this group has had to adapt to a whole new system of doing things, and I'm happy that the team was able to see some initial results from everything we talk about and work on every day.”

EMU started the season defeating the Temple Owls on Jan. 9, 193.925-187.200. This was EMU’s largest win in three years and first year coach Jay Santos’ first victory with the Eagles.

“I’m very pleased with how we started the season,” Santos said. “The team looked confident and prepared to compete, and we did a good job of focusing on one thing at a time and not getting distracted. We got off to a good start on vault, and I think that is always helpful to put the group at ease.”

EMU looks to continue their success with the start of the MAC season against Central Michigan University Jan. 17, at 7 p.m., in Mount Pleasant. CMU is the defending MAC champion and was the preseason favorite to win the conference this year.