Lady Eagles go 1-2 over holiday break

Eastern Michigan University’s women’s basketball saw a lot of action over the holiday break, some good, some bad and some ugly. After losses to the University of Michigan and to Northern Illinois University, and one win over U of D Mercy, the Eagles’ record currently stands at 7-5.

EMU’s first action over vacation was in Ann Arbor, with a difficult 52-81 loss to the University of Michigan Wolverines. Turnovers proved to be the main cause in the nearly 30-point loss.

“We imploded,” said coach Tory Verdi.

The ladies dusted off the Michigan loss and headed back to the Convocation Center for an exciting overtime win against the University of Detroit, beating the Titans 75-71. This was the Eagles’ first overtime action of the season, and the win defended the team’s spotless record at home. Cha Sweeney, Janay Morton and Jamaica Bucknor all tied for lead scorer with 19 points, and Brianna Puni showed impressive rebounding skills in only her second game as an Eagle.

For the final contest of winter break, the Eagles headed to Northern Illinois University, where they again were pushed to overtime. This time, however, they fell to NIU, 48-54. The Eagles struggled with turnovers and making their shots fall, but kept up until the very end when a perfect free-throw performance by the NUI Huskies cemented their overtime win. This was the first MAC contest of the season, leaving the Eagles 0-1 in conference.

Looking ahead, the Eagles will stay on the road and take on the Akron Zips Saturday, the 10th. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.