Regents approve four percent increase in residence hall budget

A four percent increase in the budget for residence halls and a four percent increase for meal plans were both approved by Eastern Michigan University’s Board of Regents at its regular meeting on March 17.

These budget increases come in the wake of some major population growth on campus, with more than 3,800 students living on campus at the start of the fall semester – the second-highest number since 2007.

The standard, platinum 19-meal-a-week plan for 2015-16 academic year will cost $4,911, and the academic year rates for a standard double room in the residence halls will cost between $3,950 and $5,094. Room rates will vary depending on the facility.

This increase will enable the EMU Housing and Residence Life and Dining Services divisions to accommodate the increased cost of food and supplies while also taking care of deference maintenance expenses and crucial updates in EMU’s housing and dining facilities.

“I don't care about the increased prices because I won't be eating or living on campus anymore, but the food better be better if the prices are higher,” said Megan Wotta, EMU student, in an interview.

One planned project for the year involves a $2 million update to Wise Residence Hall. The hall will close at the end of the semester for renovations.

Eastern has averaged about 90 percent occupancy of on-campus housing in the last three years. High occupancy such as this is a component in EMU’s plan to improve student retention.

Improving safety and security in EMU’s residence halls has been a main emphasis. This includes the installation of electronic card readers on residence hall entrances, and more than 600 cameras on campus. Walton, Putnam, Phelps and Sellers residence halls use swipe cards to enter the building and to enter their rooms. The University also has expanded classroom technology and wireless ability on campus.

Other large-scale renovations of the residence halls also include Best Residence Hall, which was renovated for about $2.2 million in the summer of 2013, and Hoyt Hall, which was renovated in 2012 for about $1.8 million.

Upgrades in the past few years have included new windows and stairs in Phelps, Sellers, Putnam and Walton halls, upgrades to the three tower residence halls and interior and office renovations in the Brown-Munson apartment complex.

In the past five years, EMU’s tuition, combined with room and board, costs rank 13th, which is the lowest among the states 14 public universities. In that time, EMU’s housing and board increases have averaged at about three percent.

EMU has 12 residence halls and four apartment complexes. Roughly 3,800 students are predicted to live in residence halls and apartments for the 2015-16 academic year.