The Place Names the Place

The University Gallery in the Student Center will be showcasing Place Names the Place Exhibit in room 210 starting March 2 and ending April 10.

The title was taken from Marcel Proust’s “Within a Budding Grove,” the second volume of his series of books “In Search of Lost Time.” The mixed media show will be showcasing artists with contemporary pieces done in sculpture, paintings, photography, drawings, installation and video.

The artists’ work will be representing locational identity via personal experience and memory of a place.

“It’s an opportunity to learn about location. Location is a great way to spark creativity and imagination,” said gallery director Gregory Tom.

Students will find themselves immersed in various interactive pieces like using a code system on their phones about Ashbury Park.

Exhibit curator Andrew Johnson explained the importance of the show.

“I like art that tells stories,” he said. “Storytelling is important for us to understand each other. You will be seeing the artist out of their own stories and will be connected to the culture and the political nature.”

Provided with stimulations and a range of media, students will be walking out with a new sense of understanding and knowledge of how art can transform the way you experience a place.

“The gallery is about stories and coming together to talk to each other about what is being seen,” Johnson said. “We can come together to make art.”

The reception is on Wednesday, March 11, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. This event is LBC approved.