College of Business holds webinar for online master's program

The College of Business held a webinar for its Integrated Marketing Communications master’s program Thursday evening. The online program is 1 of 13 master courses EMU offers fully online.

The event was hosted by Michelle Henry, the director of graduate business programs and Beste Windes, manager of graduate student recruiting. The program, they said, focuses on management of brand equity from faculty who have real-world experience.

The program has received accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The 98-year-old, Tampa-based foundation is something of a benchmark for quality amongst all higher education levels. According to its website, the AACSB "challenge post-secondary educators to pursue excellence and continuous improvement throughout their business programs."

"Only 27 percent of business programs in the U.S. and 5 percent worldwide have this accreditation," Henry said.

With the all-online, two-year program, students should expect to spend 12 to 15 hours a week on each class. And because the online teachers also teach traditional classes at the COB, applicants within driving distance can go to their office hours. Unlike a student going to a brick-and-mortar classroom, however, IMC does not utilize regular EMU semesters. Instead, the program uses seven and a half week “terms” with at least one course per term.

Requirements include a minimum 2.75 undergraduate GPA, prior marketing or related coursework, experience from an internship or job, a $45 application fee, resume, transcript, two letters of recommendation and a 300-500 word essay. The essay must explain why IMC matters to your current job, or why you want to have it for your future career path. No test scores are necessary for application.

The deadline for application for the fall cohort is May 15. They will still be taking applications for the winter cohort until October 15. International students must also provide a passing English proficiency exam. The competitive program only accepts 25 students each cohort.

Once a student is accepted, the student will be provided a "course shell." This is the course’s dedicated web page, equipped with a syllabus, assigned readings, videos, exercises, projects, learning checks and interactive discussions. Students can email their professors directly through the shell.

There are six required classes, featuring everything from basic principles, to brand development, to audience behavior. And there are 11 electives, including direct marketing and IMC sales promotion.

The cost for the IMC is currently $1,950 per course, although that is subject to change in June. The 36-credit-hour program is expected to cost around $23,400, excluding textbooks.

Financial aid is available, mostly in the form of loans. Graduate assistance-ships, scholarships and installment plans are also available.

The program can be contacted at cob.graduate@emich.edu or at 734-487-4444.