EMU remembers freshman honors student

Eastern Michigan University lost a student, Blaise Hebert, 19, on Thursday, May 21. His death comes as a shock and was unexpected by those who knew him.

Hebert suffered complications in a jaw surgery that initially took place May 12 and died late Thursday from complications.

Hebert was an active presence on campus. He was a member of the marching band on tenor saxophone, a member of the Honors College and working in the office of the dean for the College of Business.

“Blaise was a wonderful young man who could warm a room with his presence,” said Mike Tidwell, dean of the College of Business. “He possessed a strong work ethic and always wore a smile when greeting visitors to the College of Business Dean’s Office. We are saddened by his sudden passing and will miss him deeply.”

Hebert graduated in the Class of 2014 with honors from Divine Child High School in Dearborn, Mich.

“During his time at EMU and in our program he was a complete joy and such a light to all of us,” said Amy Knopps, associate director of bands. “He absolutely loved EMU and being involved in the marching band. He was so proud to be a member and gave everything he could to the program.”

Words of support for the Hebert family, condolences, kind words and stories are pouring onto Facebook.

“The moments we shared in the tunnel before we ran out for pregame are some of the most prideful, exciting and precious memories that I will cherish for the rest of my time,” Kaitlyn Thorpe, a pre-med student at EMU wrote.

“Blaise was one of the kindest and happiest members of the EMU marching band and every single time I saw him, he had the biggest smile on his face and everyone could see his love for music and helping others,” said Rose Verlinde, drum major of the EMU marching band.

Visitation will be Friday May 29, 2-8 p.m. with a 7:30 p.m. Saracusta at the John N. Santeiu & Son Funeral Home, 1139 Inkster Road between Cherry Hill and Ford Road.

Follow this link to view Hebert’s obituary and for further information about funeral arrangements: santeiufuneralhome.com/home/index.cfm/obituaries/view/fh_id/12070/id/3119834