How to find summer jobs

Whether it’s to save up for school, put some extra money in your pocket or go on a relaxing vacation with friends, now is a great time to start searching for that perfect summer job. Here are some tips to help you get started.

1. Use your connections: “It’s not so much what you know but who you know when it comes to getting ahead in the workplace,” said Azari Hassan, a senior biology major at Eastern Michigan University.

Make sure you let your friends, family members or other beneficial connections know what job you’re applying for so that they may be able to put in a good word for you. This way, your application will appear more desirable compared to others.

2. Don’t overlook seasonal jobs: There seems to be a stereotype that seasonal jobs are the bottom of the totem pole because it is temporary and a “waste of time.” However, that is not necessarily true.

“There’s nothing wrong with working a seasonal job because either way, you’re still making money,” said Laura Schwartz, a senior communications major.

If you accept a temporary job then you can search for other jobs that are more permanent along the way. This way, when it is time to leave, you will have a couple of potential jobs lined up and you have already begun making money.

3. Get personal: While applying online is common and time effective, sometimes going the extra mile to turn in an application and meet your potential employer is what helps to make the difference in the hiring process.

Showing that you’re friendly, open to talking to different people, and willing to go above and beyond will help in the long run. Remember to make yourself memorable because there may be many other applicants with similar qualifications.

4. Be your own boss: If you have a creative and potential money-making idea or you like the idea of setting your own hours and rates then starting up a business might be something to consider. Develop a business plan and get it reviewed and critiqued by different professionals and people you trust.

Any logos, ideas or work that you put into your business should always be patented. This way your work is legally protected.