How the Republicans' hysteria over Iran is hurting us

The Republicans have proven that they are incapable of reading or comprehending anything regarding the Iran Deal aside from it simply not happening. Their public statements blatantly contradict what news sources from CNN to PolitiFact have confirmed is true about the deal and it is clear that they are geared towards fanning the flames of misdirected hysteria of a nuclear Iran than deal with the truth that the current deal would make it impossible for Iran to go nuclear for the next fifteen years.

The first point that the Republicans have missed is that the current Iran Deal will reduce Iran’s supplies of enriched uranium to three percent of what it is today—meaning that they will be incapable of making a nuclear weapon for as long as the investigations of their centrifuges occur (in this case at least for 15 years). Both PolitiFact’s Linda Qiu and the actual text of the Iran Deal posted by the CNN Staff confirms this. Despite this, Republicans announce that the Iran Deal will “...be a holy hell,” as quoted by NPR’s Tamara Keith on Lindsey Graham’s statements regarding the deal. Republican House Representative Steve King also claims on CNN with Deidre Walsh and Ted Barrett that, “...it paves the way not just for a nuclear Iran, but a very highly powered nuclear Iran”.

In other words, the Republicans are stating that if I make a deal with Eastern Michigan University that I’m going to let them take away all of my tuition assistance, I will be going to college for free. There is no possible way that I could go to college for free, as I no longer am receiving any tuition assistance, and yet Representative King and Graham will incessantly insist that my getting no tuition assistance will bankrupt Eastern and I will be going to the university for free.

The Republicans have also proven that they are incapable of taking into consideration the point of view of our allies as well. Phillip Ackerman, Germany’s Ambassador, insisted to The Washington Post that there is almost no chance of getting a better, or even a second deal regarding Iran’s nuclear capabilities, if this deal falls through. British Ambassador Peter Westmacott also told The Washington Post’s Carol Morello that he believes the deal with Iran is solid.

The Republicans have proven on this sole matter that they are incapable of comprehending any deal that does not exactly fit their needs to the point of harming our allies’ trade lines, our country’s diplomatic image and allowing us to monitor the Iran they believe to be so dangerous. Despite all five countries that make up the United Nations Security Council lobbying on Capitol Hill for this deal on U.S. soil, the Republicans have made it clear that not only are they illiterate in this matter, but they are incapable of meeting any sort of global deal brought to their side of the table that does not involve Israel.