Eastern Michigan defeats Central Michigan, then falls to Ohio

The Eastern Michigan Women’s volleyball continues their journey through the Mid-American Conference as they compete in their home opener against Central Michigan University and its second game of a four game homes stand against Ohio University, defeating the Chippewa’s on Oct. 1st, in a 3-1 set but falling to the Bobcat’s 3-0 on Oct. 3rd.

The game against Central opened with the first set as the Eagles led by as much as 4 points. Eastern was able to pull out a win in the first set against Central by a score of 25-19. But Central answered back in the second set, as the Eagles fell short to the Chippewa’s, 21-25 before the half.

As the game continued into the third set, the Eagles were able to pull a win, 25-18, and wiped out Central in a tough match during the fourth set, 25-22.

This will mark the Eagles’ first win in the MAC.

Stacey Perinar led the Eagles with a total of 15 kills, along with Jordan Smith, who earned a total of 14 kills during the game.

“It was good to see the girls come out and execute,” said head coach Kimi Olson. “We’re excited to play Ohio on Saturday, that’ll be a great step for us to keep getting some momentum and make our way to the top of the MAC.”

The Eagles were then defeated by the Ohio University Bobcats in three straight sets, even though each set was very close. Ohio won its three sets by scores of 25-21, 25-23, 25-19.

Ohio scored a total of 56 points on the evening, but the Eagles weren’t too far behind, scoring a total of 51 points, but beat out the Bobcats’ in kills 43-41.

Freshman Cassie Haut led the Eagles with 12 kills, with senior Stacey Perinar earning 11 kills of her own. Redshirt freshman Mallory Rajewki led the team with 35 assists and senior Corynne Smith led the team with 16 digs.

The Eagles record now falls to 9-8 with a MAC record of 1-3 despite recent strong performances.

Eastern will continue its four game home stand when the Eagles play the University of Toledo Rockets on Oct. 9th at the Convocation Center. The Rockets hold a record of 3-14 and 0-4 in the MAC.