Community addresses EMU Board of Regents regarding EAA

Protesters marched into Eastern Michigan University's regular Board of Regents meeting Tuesday with intent to present the Black Student 10-Point Plan to the regents. Community members also spoke at the open communication session to express strong opposition to EMU's continued affiliation with the Education Achievement Authority.

Protestors with the Black Student 10-Point Plan did not end up presenting their demands to the regents due to the postponement of the vote to terminate or continue Eastern’s affiliation with the EAA.

The EAA is a school system designed to help failing schools perform better. EMU signed an agreement with the EAA in June 2011. In 2013 six teachers unions in Washtenaw County announced they would be boycotting EMU student teachers until the university agreed to withdraw from the EAA, and EMU has been under fire for its involvement ever since. Details about the controversy of the EAA can be found in a previous Echo story by Nora Naughton.

After marching into the meeting chanting "What side?" protesters sat peacefully in front of the Board.

Several community members expressed strong opposition in regards to EMU's continued relationship with the EAA at the meeting's open communication session.

Howard Bunsis, professor of accounting at EMU, spoke on the agreement.

"Will you do what is right for EMU, or will you simply cave in to political pressure, no matter the consequences for EMU?" Bunsis said. "I fear for all of us."

Steven Cole, EMU'S student body president, also spoke on the matter.

"I can only hope the voices of the students, faculty and staff will finally be heard," Cole said. "I can only hope the Board of Regents will withdraw from the EAA this winter."

Protesters cheered and chanted "Freedom's side!" between speakers, and remained peaceful during the open communication session.

"I would only compliment them for being very professional and being respectful to the people in the room," Regent Mike Morris said of the protesters. "They have every right to pound their drum and say what they said. They were really very professional and I thank them for that."

The Board of Regents has postponed its vote on the EAA at this time.