LGBT Resource Center welcomes back students

The LGBT Resource Center took over Student Center room 350 for its Winter Welcome Back this past Wednesday, Jan. 13. This was a stop-in party for anyone who wanted to come in and say, “Hello,” now that the semester is up and running. The LGBT Resource Center has hosted numerous events on campus such as this for a number of years now.

Students began to stop by around 1:30 p.m. Two tables were set up in the middle of the room for students to meet and talk to each other. One student that attended was Joanna Ransdell, a graduate student in social work.

“I work here. My office is putting on this event, to tell everybody we're here for them [and] we're providing some stress relief ... because winter. It's nice to have just an afternoon to distress,” Ransdell said.

Ransdell was one of a few dozen students who dropped by during the event. Another student, Penny Kuang, a senior majoring in chemistry, decided to stop by and check out the event for her first time since attending Eastern.

“My schedule was free, I saw the hot chocolate and I've been a member of Quest for a while, and also, someone reminded me on Facebook today,” she said.

“I work at the LGBT Resource Center, so I kind of had to come,” Allison Melcher, a junior studying biology, said. “It's just a good place to hang out.”

For Riley Siroen, a junior majoring in theater, this was the third year she attended the Welcome Back.

“I want to meet other fellow queers and say, ‘Hi,’ to everyone because I know a lot of people here,” Siroen said.

“I think it's an important event,” Rose Wilson, a therapist at CAPS said. “I like to be connected to this organization. Also, I'm one of the facilitators. [I] like to reach out and connect to students.”

The LGBT Resource Center caters and advocates for the equality of LGBTQ+ students on campus. They host events such as this all year long, including parties, identity discussions, and one on one student counseling and more.