AFLV Council Members (left to right):  Tasha Lonabarger, Nicole Hepp, Alexx Bakhaus, Morgan Ziegelhofer, Kaitlin Burris, Nicholas Haywood, Chris Veldman, Evan Schrauben, Casey Krone, Karen Thompson, Njeri Karanja, Wen'Zell Franklin

Greek life councils bring back awards to EMU

Leaders from each of the Greek life councils at EMU traveled to Indianapolis to attend the AFLV Central, a weekend long conference, Feb. 4-7, hosted by the Association of Fraternal Leadership and Values. All three Greek councils, the College Panhellenic Council, the Interfraternity Council and the National Pan Hellic Council were able to go home with awards.

The AFLV Awards are designed to help councils achieve the highest level of excellence they can through programming and council management. In order to have been eligible for these awards, each council had to pay an annual membership subscription fee to the AFLV and must send at least one delegate to one regional conference. Awards are broken up into two main categories, Category Awards and Overall Excellence Awards.

Awards won included the following:

College of Panhellenic Council

• - Academic Achievement
  • - Council Management
  • - Membership Recruitment
  • - Philanthropy and Community Service
  • - Public Relations
  • - Risk Reduction and Management
  • - Self-Governance and Judicial Affairs

Interfraternity Council

• - Academic Achievement
  • - Council Management
  • - Leadership and Educational Development
  • - Risk Reduction and Management

National Pan-Hellenic Council

• - Academic Achievement
  • - Council Management
  • - Philanthropy and Community Service
  • - Risk Reduction and Management

This is the third year that Greek councils from EMU attended the conference, and this is the first year that the National Pan-Hellenic Council has submitted a full application and been recognized.

Most of the time spent at the conference consisted of attending education sessions on topics relevant to Greek communities and campus communities nationwide, listening to keynote speakers and attending the annual National Black Greek Leadership Conference Stoll Competition. Also, Casey Krone and Alex Bakhause competed in the Gamma Sigma Alpha Case Study competition and placed second overall in their division, competing with schools from all across the country.

Casey Krone, coordinator for Greek life and leadership at EMU was very proud of the three councils for taking home awards and is happy great honor is brought to the Greek life on campus. "Greek organizations here at EMU have a long history of traditions, dating back to 1875. They have changed over the years. However, in the past ten years, the community has grown in both size and quality. I truly believe that the success of the community is a reflection of the council leadership, paired with the efforts of the individual chapters and the support of the administration. Greek Life at EMU is a values-based community, and the recognition at AFLV is a reflection of that."

Currently, members of the Councils are participating in their annual awards and assessment program at EMU called the Greek Standards and Assessment Program, where chapters meet with faculty, staff, and alumni to discuss the ways in which they are living out their chapter values on a daily basis and contributing to the campus community. Also, they are currently raising money for the Flint Child Health and Development fund. Anyone who is interested in donating can do so here.