Anthony Jones places seventh in hammer throw at NCAA Championships

Eastern Michigan senior Anthony Jones, placed seventh in the hammer throw at the 2016 NCAA Indoor Track and Field National Championships this past weekend in Birmingham, Alabama.

The Sandusky, Ohio native was seeded ninth headed into the championships, and would earn a first team All-American honor after having a mark of 21.52m (70 feet 7.25 inches), one meter shy of placing inside the top five.

“Overall it was probably the most exciting competition I've been apart of, with a very impressive field,” Jones said. “I'm happy with my performance to end my indoor career and hats off to the rest of the guys. I'm excited to get back and hit these next few weeks hard with my teammates to go after this outdoor MAC Championship.”

Last year, Jones capped off his indoor season as a second team All-American, and second team All-MAC thrower. He finished 13th at the NCAA championships in 2015, and is the first Eagle since 1998 to become an All-American thrower.

Jones was the only representative of the Mid-American Conference in the hammer throw, and racked up two points for Eastern Michigan’s overall team score and sit in 28 in the standings. At the championships, he is joined by teammates Scott Bradley (800 M), Solomon Simmons (Heptathlon), Keith Williams (Weight Throw), Tyler Brown (400 M Lg. Jump), and Willy Fink (3000 M, 5000 M).