Detroit Does Well hosts 'So You Think You Can Dance?' competition

On Tuesday March 8, the organization Detroit Does Well (DDW) held a “So You Think You Can Dance?” competition” at 7 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom.

The organization’s mission statement, provided by President Diamond Clay, is "Detroit Does Well is an organization that recognizes the talent, leaders and entrepreneurs that rise from our generation. We focus on showing Detroit in a positive light through mentoring, volunteering and events that brand students through our organization."

The competition was modeled after the TV show and eight teams competed for a $100 cash prize. The dance contest consisted of a variety of pop and rap music, in which multiple talents competed for the prize. There was a maxed out crowd in the auditorium and many were on their feet dancing themselves the whole night.

The winners were "Blackout Crew" consisting of Jauhar Page, Chris Asaka and Marcel. The show also had a variety of judges who came to this conclusion. It was judged by Gerald Purify (President of student organization, IMAGE), Briana White (Recording Secretary of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.) and Kristine Elmore (Mentoring and Volunteering Coordinator for Detroit Does Well).

The host was also a hit with the crowd. James "Jimmy" Purifoy, President of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. was able to keep the crowd entertained in between acts. Taylor Anderson, better known as DJ Lixxer, provided the music of the night.

To learn more about DDW and their upcoming events, you can like their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DDW313/. Also, if you would like to share clips with us of your best dance moves then mention us on Twitter: @EasternEcho_AE.