Eastern Idol 2016

Davion Reeder, President of Phoenix, a campus based event planning organization. worked with student leaders from organizations such as You Beautiful Black Women (YBBW) and Student Government to put on Eastern Michigan University’s Eastern Idol. The event transformed EMU Student Center ballroom into a night of trap-karaoke Wednesday, Oct. 5.

“It’s tradition for black homecoming. We’ve done Eastern Idol kind of like American Idol,” said Tanasia Morton, Student Body President. “This year we wanted to switch it up a little bit and get everyone involved. We wanted to have a little fun and just kick back. Since we’ve all been stressed from school and everything else that has been happening on campus,” said Morton.

EMU Black Homecoming Committee helped Eastern Idol coordinator Davion Reeder make the night a success.

“We thought it’d be fun and very cultural for the black community. We didn’t think there was going to be a lot of people showing up so we were a little nervous with the promotion of it,” said Candis Caldwell, President of You Beautiful Black Women. “It was a good event, I enjoyed just really enjoyed the togetherness that we all had and I hope it will be as successful next year too,” she said.

This was the first year Phoenix took the lead in hosting Eastern Idol, instead of EMU Campus Life homecoming committee.

“Not just black and white people, all different types of people. That was really our goal, we want to unite everybody and kind of take away the segregation on campus and diversify our events and I feel good about the outcome,” said Davion Reeder, event coordinator.

“There’s a lot of support shown from the student body. Every event isn’t like this, it’s nice to see the students actually supporting and having fun embracing their college life, ” said Edward Davis, nursing major, EMU student. He was at Starbucks when he was told by friends about the event and headed over.

EMU’s Close UP Theatre Troupe performed at the intermission of the event, promoting voter registration. Their performance dictated the history of voting rights in America and stressed the importance of this election to students.

“It all went viral. I just love that we can come together and unite and have fun for a change, especially with everything going on campus,” said Daquann Harrison, social work major. “We’re having fun, lots of spirit, I’m feeling great about tonight. It just shows to us that we can come together and do an event and have a good time.”