News Briefs, Dec. 5

Kourtni Talley, student at Eastern Michigan University student, won the grand prize of $1000 at Holiday Inn near the University of Michigan’s third annual College Food Stars cooking competition on Sunday, Nov. 13 for her Avocado Delight dish.

Talley, a junior studying hospitality administration and hotel management, prepared the dish using a toaster. Her ingredients consisted of avocado, ¼ cup tangy diced cherry peppers and three slices of Pepperidge Farm asiago cheese bread.

The competition is presented to Ann Arbor area students and included students from the University of Michigan, Eastern Michigan University, Concordia University, Michigan State University, and Washtenaw Community College by the Holiday Inn Near the University of Michigan.

The contest is free and open to the public. The competition challenges Michigan college students to create a dish using one cooking appliance and three ingredients. The finalists compete in front a live audience.

Eight student finalists were given a $10 food budget and a prep time of 10 minutes or less for a panel of judges which consisted of well-known people from the media such as Marc Jonna, co-founder of Plum Market, Jay Towers, co-anchor of FOX-TV 2 Morning News, Mary Kerr, president of Ann Arbor Area Convention & Visitors Bureau, Brian Tenclinger, assistant dean of students and director of Greek Life at the University of Michigan, and Emil Bach, executive chef at Hillel “Kosher King of Ann Arbor.” Chef Heidi Keller was the competition’s master of ceremonies.

Students with the best dish win the chance to have their dish featured on Guy Hollerin’s Ann Arbor Bar and Grill’s menu for a limited time, $500 cash from Holiday Inn near the University of Michigan and a $500 gift certificate for groceries at Plum Market. Two runner up prizes were given to winners in categories for best late night snack and best dorm support.

Nearly $270,000 raised by EMU on Giving Tuesday

Eastern Michigan University raised a record total of $269,708 from 772 donors on Giving Tuesday, a nationally recognized day on Tuesday, Nov. 29 that is dedicated to charitable giving.

WEMU, the University's national public radio station, raised $54,600 as part of the campaign through a station open house and live jazz jam session from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the main floor of King Hall.

"Our heartfelt thanks go out to all those who made Giving Tuesday a great success this year,” said Jill Hunsberger, EMU’s interim vice president for advancement, in an EMU press release. “This exceptional effort makes a significant impact for our students."

The donations will be used to support several areas, including student scholarships, programs, facility enhancement and development and faculty research and growth. Donors were able to make specific choices in what their donations helped to fund. Last year's Giving Tuesday totaled $169,828 from 410 donors.

EMU students also visited the Student Center between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. to sign the University's thank you banner to donors, write a quick note to donors or record a video message thanking donors.

Anyone interested in donating to the EMU Foundation can visit the EMU Foundation homepage or call 734-484-1322.