Explore Eastern Open House introduces new students to EMU

EMU held Explore Eastern Open House to give first-year, high school, transfer, and graduate students a glimpse of what Eastern Michigan University has to offer towards their academic careers and what life would be as an Eagle.

Explore Eastern was held on Saturday, Nov. 4 and featured an academic fair, student resource fair, presentations by college deans and optional campus walking tours. The open house occupied the second and third floors of the student center, using the grand ballroom, auditorium, and meeting rooms. 

Explore Eastern is held twice every fall semester, and has been for over 20 years. Director of visit programs Matt Mortier and assistant director Celia Murkowski coordinated the open house with help from the admissions office.

“If there were a college course name for this program, it would be EMU 101,” said Murkowski. “We want students to know what they could expect for the next step in their life as they transition into the Eastern Family.”

The academic fair on the second floor had every department represented by their respected faculty members to talk to the attendees in depth regarding majors/minors, courses, and possible career paths. The student resource fair on the third floor showcased the Holman Success center, diversity and community involvement, study abroad programs, and many more. Presentations on the honors college, campus life, first year/transfer/graduate scholarship opportunities, and housing and residence life were also showcased.

According College Score Board Card website, Eastern Michigan University’s acceptance rate is about 69 percent with a graduation rate of 38 percent.

Murkowski also said that the entire Admissions Office participates in promoting the event as well. They visit high schools, community colleges, and college fairs while meeting with prospective students.

High school student Zayver Watson said that an EMU adviser came to his school and has struck his interest. Ever since then, he knows there is a “good film program [he] is interested in.”

Over 7,000 students are currently enrolled in EMU college of arts and sciences, making it the college with the highest enrollment setting it far apart from the other colleges having under 4,000 students enrolled in each one.

Attending the open house waives the 35 dollar admission application fee, making the application process convenient for any interested in EMU after the open house.

Antonio Junior-Robins is a soon to be graduate student pursuing a degree in higher education. He visited every aspect of the open house and found himself impressed with EMU’s program after attending the graduate admission presentation. 

“Just talking to the director, the head of the department I’m applying to, talking about faculty, the research, the travel they do, the awards the program has won,” said Junior-Robins. “That really engaged me and convinced me to go ahead and apply.”

According to Accredited Schools Online, Eastern Michigan University has the best education degrees of 2017 ranking over 99 percent. Coming close behind are Univeristy of Toledo, Ashland University, and Hofstra University.

This Explore Eastern event was the last open house of the year, while the first one was on Oct. 7. If you missed Explore Eastern, campus tours can be scheduled Monday through Thursday during the morning and afternoon, Friday mornings and on select Saturdays at 10 a.m.