Student Government Hosts Session for our Marginalized Students

Student Government hosts session for our minoritized/marginalized students”

On Tuesday, October 24th Eastern Michigan University’s Student Government hosted an open forum session for students to discuss their feelings about the recent arraignment of Eddie Curlin. Many students were distraught on the faculty’s failure to provide more  information. “People felt that administration finding a suspect was an expectation for people of color to shut up,” Quentin Francis, president of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc stated. During the meeting it was clarified that it was not possible Eddie Curlin was the perpetrator of every racist act last year because he was detained in jail for half of the year. A representative from student government said that they can and will pick up the slack that students feel faculty failed to. 

This situation does not change the fact that marginalized groups and ongoing protests helped reinforce the ‘10 point plan’ and  made vital changes in Diversity and Inclusion.“Students should not be dismantled from the recent news, together as a university we will get through this.” A faculty representative said. Moving forward, in means of diversity, there is still more that can be done. 

This forum was vital, especially for those who needed more answers and felt like faculty wasn’t giving correct ones. It created a safe space for marginalized groups to share their feelings while planning the next steps in means of feeling like they actually belong here and not just being told they do. 

For more events like this and updates on committee meetings, follow Student Government on instagram @emu_sg!