School of Music & Dance Presents ‘Coppélia’

Eastern Michigan University’s School of Music and Dance delivered a full-length ballet recital titled 'Coppélia', accompanied by a noteworthy live orchestral ensemble on Friday Dec 8, at Pease Auditorium. It was nothing short of spectacular.

Nearly miraculous, one might call it, the theater’s ability to quiet an audience, intrigue any age, and bring an overwhelming sense of peace to each viewer’s mind. Theatrical entertainment is a work of beauty and a display of elegance. 

Coppélia, a French comic ballet written by Arthur Saint-Léon, depicts the emotions of a life-sized, dancing doll. The ballet is divided into three separate acts, each with unique plot development. 

The orchestral arrangement, originally written by Léo Delibes, consists of a series of quick-paced and thrilling melodies.

President Smith was present, among other faculty, and there were even a few young children in attendance. The performance was a little over an hour in length with no intermission.

"Coppélia was very well done. The music and dancing were both very impressive. My wife, Connie, and I had a wonderful time both watching and listening. We especially enjoyed the narration that “set up” the various acts of this ballet. Our favorite element of any performance of this type is to watch the youth in the audience, some in the early elementary grades, dreaming of being on the stage at Pease someday" said President Smith.

The School of Music and Dance held performances throughout the day Friday for local schools. They concluded with one performance for the local EMU community. Coppélia, though rather complex, was a show for all ages.

The dance was choreographed by EMU’s Sherry Jerome and the orchestra was conducted by Professor Kevin Miller. 

The end of the show had the audience standing in congratulation for Miller who will be retiring at the end of this academic year. The orchestra and dance students presented a Miller, who was somewhat close to tears, with flowers and a painted portrait with personalized signatures from his students.

The next dance performance will take place on Friday, January 12, at Quirk Theater. If you’re looking for a entertaining event, going to support the EMU School of Music and Dance at one of their local performances, is a great bet.