Our Voices Workshops Help Women Express Troubles in Safe Environment

The Women’s Resource Center (WRC) held their Our Voices Writing Workshop this past Thursday, Jan 18. This was the second workshop out of three they will be having, before their final performance where women students can give speeches, poems, and anything they’d like, to express their struggles. The next Workshop will be held on Monday, Jan. 22, from 6-8pm in the Student Center room 302. The final workshop before the finale performance will be on Jan. 24, at 6-8pm in room 360.

“Our Voices was a created four years ago as a response to the Vagina Monologues which were put on for 15 years. The monologues erase a lot of voices – it was not trans inclusive. That’s why Our Voices was created to include those voices,” says Mindy Holmes. Mindy is the Special events programmer for the Women’s Resource Center in the Department of Diversity and Community Involvement. 

“The performance includes poems, monologues, and anything that is related to the experiences of women and fem’s and their identities -- sexuality, sex violence, body image, gender identity, gender expression, domestic violence. It’s a way for women to share their own stories and make their voice heard in a way the Vagina Monologues didn’t give that opportunity,” Holmes continued. 

According to Holmes, The Vagina Monologues is a very powerful performance and educational tool. However, it shows this “idea that the vagina is center to womanhood.” Holmes does not agree with this idea, and works to include all people who identify as women.

Holmes stated, “We wanted as a center [the WRC] to focus on all women regardless of their anatomy.”

Holmes explained that this is the first time the WRC will not be showcasing the Vagina Monologues, under her judgement. She had to get approval of her decision and the faculty at the WRC agreed to only hold Our Voices this year. 

“This year, we as a center decided to nix the Vagina Monologues because there was racist and trans-exclusive language in it. I think the show was edgy in the 90s when it first came out, but at this point I think we’ve outgrown it. We can do better. We as a center represent anyone who identifies as a woman,” Holmes said. 

The workshops are focused on helping woman express their emotions through writing and then performing their work. These workshops and the performance are made specifically to help advocate for women’s safety. 

“I think this [workshop] was a good step to enhance our advocacy. These workshops are to help women figure out what they want to say, how to share their story, and how to actually write the piece and the mechanics of writing,” Holmes explained, “We want to encourage people to participate regardless of any feelings of fear or insecurity of their writing. We need more people to submit pieces and more people to get involved.”

The WRC is selling tickets for $5 and all the proceeds are being donated to organizations against domestic violence: First Step in Plymouth and Safe House in Ann Arbor Center. Tickets go on sale Jan. 22, and you can buy them in the Student center, at the Quirk Box Office and at emutix.com through the Convocation Center.