IMG_20181022_154713.jpg

EMU Soccer wins one, loses one, heading into final game of season

Eastern Michigan’s Women's soccer team split the first two of their three home games to end the season. The team defeated Miami of Ohio in decisive fashion by a final score of 3-0. Unfortunately, it seemed that they maxed out their scoring output for the weekend as they failed to score against Ball State and lost 1-0. The loss to Ball State cuts even deeper as it was the team’s senior night. For seniors like Peyton Davis, Mikayla Cupp, Mia Colavito, and Mackenzie Etienne, this normally would have been their final opportunity to take the pitch at Scicluna Field. However the final game of the season will also be at home, giving the team one more chance to send the seniors out on a high note.

EMU’s matchup with Miami was thoroughly dominated by the Eagles. The scoring outburst began in the final minute of the first half as Sabrina McNeill finished a pass from Kirstin Nason to put the Eagles up 1-0. Mia Colavito scored in the 61st minute off a pass from Kylie Frantz to extend the lead even further. If the game wasn’t already in hand, Nason effectively ended the match early with her seventh goal on the season bringing the match to its final score of 3-0.

The match against Ball State was a much more defensively focused meeting for both sides. Both teams scrapped and clawed for every offensive opportunity. EMU lead in overall shots with 15 but only three were on target.  Ball State only had 11 total shots but four were on target and one successfully found the back of the net. The one and only goal of the match came in the 51st minute off a boot from the outside of the box. This goal stood the test of time and earned Ball State their 10th win on the season by a final score of 1-0.

Despite losing on senior night, EMU has a chance to redeem themselves when Central Michigan comes to town. The teams have comparable records and look to be an even match-up on paper. With a win, EMU’s record would move to 10-10, giving them a .500 record to end the season. The match will take place on Thursday, October 25th, at 3 p.m. on Scicluna Field.