Longshot: movie review

Seth Rogen & Charlize Thereon , the unlikely duo star in the first political romantic comedy of 2019 but was it worth the hype?

Longshot, the first political romantic comedy of 2019, had a lot to live up to considering the marketing of the two main stars performances. Starring Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron as our “oddball” couple of the film “Charlotte Field & Fred Flarsky” whom served ounces of chemistry throughout the film.

Now for those who may not know the premise of the film, it stars our two main stars one “Rogen” a self-righteous writer whom happens to cross paths with an old friend “Theron” who plays the secretary of state and from there his life changes.

The film is stacked with wonderful supportive characters such as O'shea Jackson Jr., playing Fred's best friend Lance, who offered plenty of laughs throughout the film as he is what eventually leads Fred and Charlotte to cross paths again. Along with him we have comedy heavy hitters such as June Diane Raphael and Ravi Patel both rounding out Charlotte's political team.

Aside from just being a comedy film it serves multiple messages throughout the film from female empowerment to staying true to yourself. As our main characters meet again, sparks fly immediately and you find yourself rooting for this couple you never thought you would root for. Not pushing the characters together immediately but showing us the audience the authenticity and uniqueness of the relationship between the two as time goes on and also showing how real it can be losing yourself and having that one special person be there to bring you back to your true self.

Going into the film, I was not expecting to really be hit by the multiple messages that were in the film. It not only was a terrific romantic comedy but also wanted to tell a message through the story that no matter who you are, always stand up for what you believe in.

This film served its purpose in every way with surprise appearances from Boyz2Men as well as Lil Yatchy, you’ll see there is something for everyone in this film. Also bringing us a cameo from Alexander Skarsgård of True Blood fame playing a character most would say is out of his typical roles but you would have to see for yourself to understand.

With wonderful performances from the main cast as well as great chemistry between Rogen & Theron's characters, with amazing messages being delivered in great ways, I would say this film is a wonderful way to get your summer movies started but don't take my word for it, go see for yourself! 

Echo Grade: B+