Fred Castro

The Eagles women's basketball team falls off in second half loss versus Wichita State

EMU was close with the Shockers after halftime but lost by double digits.

The Eagles lost 63-52 to Wichita State at Charles Koch Arena on Saturday, Dec. 8. That is four straight losses for EMU, all against non-conference teams. Aaliyah Stanley had the team-high in points at 20 and went 6-for-9 on 3-pointers for EMU (2-6). Areanna Combs scored 11 with three steals and three rebounds.

Grand Rapids native Mariah McCully had a season-high 25 points to lead the Shockers (5-3). Seraphine Bastin scored 12 and grabbed eight rebounds. The first half ended with an EMU lead at 24-23. Both teams had similar stats with 17 rebounds and shooting nearly 34% from the field. The second half stats showed an adjustment by Wichita State head coach Keitha Adams.

A 21-12 point difference was the result of a momentum-shifting third quarter for the Shockers. Raven Prince scored on a layup which gave Wichita State the lead just 11 seconds into the half. McCully hit a jump shot moments later to put the score at 27-24. Prince had two points and four rebounds on the night.

Stanley knocked down a game-tying triple on the next Eagles possession, however the Shockers then pulled away with an 11-1 scoring run in the next six minutes to make it 39-28 Wichita State. That lead increased to as much as 15 in the fourth quarter and finished with the score of 63-52.

McCully and Stanley each had a majority of their points in that second half with 17 and 15, respectively. The Shockers went only 1-for-8 from long range after halftime but shot 51% from the floor compared to 33 for EMU. Efficient shooting was the difference-maker as Wichita State took their fifth win out of their last six games. They defeated Oklahoma 88-83 on the road a week before.

The Eagles came up short in the stretch of road games, the first being a 78-67 loss to Binghamton in New York six days prior. EMU returns to action at the Convocation Center on Tuesday, Dec. 10. with a game against Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne that starts at 2 pm. The last two non-conference games for the Eagles will be against University of Illinois-Chicago and Detroit Mercy.