Eastern Michigan defeats Texas State 59-21

Eastern Michigan makes history in defeating Texas State 59-21

Saturday's 59 points put the team in the record books for high-scoring games

Breaking team records, the Eastern Michigan Eagles defeated the Texas State Bobcats at Rynearson Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 25.

The final tally for the home game was 59-21, the most points Eastern has scored in a non-conference FBS game since 1995. That year, the Eagles put up 51 points against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, in a Sept. 16 game, according to EMU Athletics. 

Saturday’s win pushed Eastern’s record to 3-1 for the season, putting the Eagles in a strong position leading into conference play next week. The Eagles face the Northern Illinois Huskies on Oct. 2, at Illinois.

The Bobcats fell to 1-3 for the season following Saturday’s loss to the Eagles.

The Eagles’ 59 points scored Saturday rank as the fifth-highest for a home game in program history, and third inside Rynearson Stadium, which is in its 53rd season of operation.

The Eagles scored first with 8:06 left in the first quarter. From there, they pushed their way toward victory.

Notable Eastern players who stood out during the game were senior quarterback Ben Bryant, freshman Darius Boone Jr., junior wide out Dylan Drummond, senior Jawon Hamilton and sophomore Robert Daniel Jr. 

Bryant led Eastern Michigan's passing attack with 228 yards through the air, and tossed three touchdowns without throwing an interception, EMU Athletics reported. He also added 52 yards and one touchdown on the ground.

Boone Jr. accumulated 86 yards over the course of the game, averaging 6.6 yards per carry, according to EMU Athletics. Senior Jawon Hamilton also added 53 yards and one touchdown on the ground, averaging 5.3 yards per carry.

Junior wide out Dylan Drummond reeled in five catches for 59 yards and one score, according to EMU Athletics. Daniel Jr. stood out for the Eastern Michigan defense, with three tackles and one recovered fumble.

Texas State scored seven points with 1:36 left in the first quarter, not scoring again until 1:24 left in the second quarter. They scored for the last time at 10:56 in the third quarter, with a total of 21 points.