julien-tondu-0LwEQ2dowM8-unsplash.jpg

Review: 'House of Gucci's' superb acting makes the show

"House of Gucci" may have holes in story, but the superb performances from Jared Leto and Lady Gaga carry the film.

This is the best time of the year for movie watching. We have seen some awesome films over the last few months! Now, we have the “House of Gucci". Lady Gaga and Jared Leto really carried this film in my opinion. Let’s dive in!

Synopsis 

The film follows Patricia Reggiani's journey from a nobody to marrying into the Gucci family. Her influence ultimately leads to the family falling apart and murder. 

Highlights

As mentioned before, there were a couple of strong performances in this film. Lady Gaga once again shines in another great film. She stole every scene she was in and I think the casting was perfect for her. This was also Jared Leto’s best performance since Dallas Buyers Club. I expect Gaga and Leto to score nominations come award season. 

The film may not be the most entertaining at times but it was a very interesting story; a story of lies and betrayal. This was a good movie to show the fall of one of the most powerful families and brands that we know. If anything, you will appreciate the story of this film.

Lady Gaga’s best moment of the film was her ad-libbed line of “Father, Son, House of Gucci” while making the sign of the cross. It was the best moment of the film by a landslide, and maybe Gaga’s Oscar moment? 

Lowlights

The pacing of the film was a little lackluster at times. You would expect a movie that has a cast this massive and a story this wild would be fast passed. It just didn’t flow with the drama and action shown in the previews. The middle of the film was slow and overall nothing interesting happened. 

Like I said, there was no grand moment that made me feel like this could be a serious Best Picture Award contender. It’s pretty disappointing considering the loaded cast and the hype that came with this film. It could get a couple of individual awards, but overall this film lacked a moment that would make the audience remember come award season. 

One of the curious decisions in the film was the lighting. The film had potential to have some popping colors, be an overall artwork on screen. The lighting made it feel dull and lifeless at times. This is a director's decision that maybe could have been changed. 

Verdict

House of Gucci has a couple of strong acting performances with Gaga and Jared Leto. You should see this film just to see two potential Oscar winners.

This gets a 3.5/5 from me.