Food Gatherers.jpg

Food Gatherers cancels Grillin' 2022, launches matching campaign

Food Gatherers cancels their annual Grillin' fundraising event, and launches a fundraiser instead to address the ongoing increase in food insecurity.

Food Gatherers announced that the organizations Grillin’ event will be canceled for the third year in a row. A matching fundraiser has been created to take its place. 

“After careful consideration, we are sad to share that we will not be hosting Grillin’ 2022,” said Food Gatherers President and CEO, Eileen Spring.

Grillin’ for Food Gatherers is an annual outdoor picnic and fundraiser held at the Washtenaw Fairgrounds to help provide meals to those in need in Washtenaw County. The fundraiser brings together over 1,000 people to enjoy food from local businesses and fun with family and friends. 

“This event takes months to plan and implement, and we weren’t sure what the public health situation would be in June and how comfortable people would feel gathering in a large crowd. But also, the current stress with inflation and supply chain issues…it just seemed like we were not going to be able to pull off a successful event,” Helen Starman, Chief Development Officer of Food Gatherers, said. 

Food Gatherers has launched a matching campaign in an effort to continue their fight against hunger. All donations will be matched 1:1, up to $40,000, through the Harold and Kay Peplau Family Fund. 

“The goal of this campaign would be that anybody who normally attended Grillin’ and bought tickets to do that and cameand purchase an auction item would make a donation to this campaign in a similar amount,” Starman said. 

Starman emphasizes the importance of the Grillin’ event to the community, as plans have already begun for next year's in-person fundraiser.

“Ultimately, Grillin’ has a 30-year history in this community of bringing people together for both fun but also to support the fighting and hunger, and celebrate what they’ve done throughout the year to help feed their neighbors. So its a loss to not be able to host the event this year,” Starman said. 

Visit their website for more information about Food Gatherers and the matching fundraiser.