Screenshot 2022-05-04 3.45.26 PM.png

Review: Future’s “I NEVER LIKED YOU” demonstrates his dominance as an artist

Future has been in the rap game for well over a decade. In that time he has inspired generations of artists and been crowned the king of Atlanta.

Future is a rapper who no longer needs introduction. With multiple accolades and highly acclaimed discography, the artist has controlled the rap genre for years.

A year after his collaborative album with Lil Uzi Vert title "Pluto x Baby Pluto," Future is back with a new project titled “I NEVER LIKED YOU."

Album Highs:

Over time, Future has received and welcomed comments that he is a toxic human being and artist. With this new project, he takes that theme to new heights as he spits tales of "unhealthy" relationships while also calling back the trap lifestyle that made him famous.

While this is Future's album, the producers, specifically ATL Jacobs, highlighted this project. Thanks to the producers, many songs are merciless and gift us unique beats.

Intro song "712PM" is aggressive and sets the mood, while with other tracks, like “HOLY GHOST," the beat continues to build until you are blown away by the production and Future's flow. Other highlights of this album include some of the melodic tracks such as “LOVE YOU BETTER” and “THE WAY THINGS GOING."

In addition, this album is filled with features from Drake, Young Thug, Tems and Detroit based rappers 42 Dugg and Babyface Ray.

Album Lows:

However, this album was not perfect, nor Future's best work. First, the Kanye West feature did not add that much value to the album at all and seeing the name was more exciting than hearing the song.

Then, while his brand is male toxicity, his fourth song “FOR A NUT” is too on brand and the hook makes the notoriety rather corny.

Finally, while I did enjoy the features from 42 Dugg and Babyface Ray, the deluxe edition of the album was truly not needed. While many artists are taking the approach of releasing an album Friday and the deluxe version Monday, at many times it is unnecessary.

Before the deluxe this album was 16 tracks long, which is reasonable, but a 22 track deluxe three days later is pushing it.

Though some hiccups and misses, this album has been one of my favorite trap albums of the year so far. Though it may not be a classic like "DS2" or "HNDRXX," this was a enjoyable LP overall.

Excitingly, Future has plans to release one more project before the year is done. There are rumors that the next project will be R&B inspired and may have appearances from Brent Faiyaz and FKA Twigs, creating even more interest.

Weighing the mix of some unneeded filler tracks and comparing the LP to his previous work, alongside great features and the attention grabbing, full of energy build, I give this album a 7 out of 10.

Favorite tracks:

"HOLY GHOST"

“PUFFIN ON ZOOTIEZ”

“WAIT FOR U”