4-great-ways-make-friends-college.jpg

Advice: Benefits of making friends in college

Why students should make friends in college?

It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience to attend college, so you should enjoy it to the fullest extent possible. If someone asked me for the best advice I can give to a student I would say MAKE FRIENDS! Friends in college are one of the most important things for students to consider. Having friends can affect students' academic performance and benefit them in many ways.

Some students think that it’s not important to make friends or have social anxiety, which can cause them to feel lonely. Loneliness is the emotional distress caused by the lack of social contact and friends, a cognitive awareness that produces feelings of sadness, emptiness, and isolation, and erodes emotional well-being (Marano, 2016). Meeting a stranger and sensing something that might motivate you to invite them into your circle isn't easy, but is always worth it. The backgrounds and circumstances of students entering colleges and universities are diverse. The diversity makes college friends useful because they might teach each other about different cultures, backgrounds, and points of view. Later in life, can be an important aspect of being experienced and knowing how to deal with people of different backgrounds.

Another way friends can affect a student’s academic performance is by working together on assignments, and projects. Having a pair of brains to think about something will probably make it easier to figure out. Not to mention, sometimes having two different points of view can result in great projects. Having supportive interactions with peers can have a positive impact on academic achievement, knowledge acquisition, and self-esteem. The benefits of having valuable college friendships can also include; a better social life, a successful, satisfying education, and career opportunities that are highly sought-after after graduation.

A college friendship can also turn into a lifetime friendship because college is a time of personal growth. The shared experiences you have in college will help you become the person you want to be, and the friends you make will help you along the way. Additionally, you'll find that they will be helpful as you build your professional network. It is often through them that you can find networking opportunities and stay current on your field of study after graduation.

In short, students who make more friends in college are more likely to be academically successful. It might be hard, but completely worth it.