EMU union faculty will keep strike options open and work without a contract for now

EMU union faculty has decided to work without a contract while negotiations persist.

EMU Union Faculty (EMU-AAUP) keeps their strike options open, opting to work without a contract while talks continue with the university administration.

As of Wednesday, the 500+ members of faculty will continue working without a contract to continue the fall semester while negotiations persist with the university to secure a new one.

“Rushed decisions are not good for our students, for EMU, or for the outstanding faculty who have delivered quality education despite the tremendous challenges we have faced during the past two and half years,” Matt Kirkpatrick associate professor of English, Language, and Literature, and chair of EMU-AAUP bargaining team said.

On Aug. 27, a vote to inform the university of a strike was proposed and authorized by 97 percent of the EMU-AAUP union. Under union by-laws, a second vote needs to take place to initiate a strike.

“Our negotiating team will stay at the table, and our members will stay in our classrooms – for now. We reserve the right to go back to our members for a strike authorization vote if and when such a step is necessary,” Kirkpatrick said.

While EMU-AAUP claims EMU administration has stalled the efforts on negation, EMU administration denies that their bargaining team has stalled negotiations in any way.

‘"We are as determined as the faculty union to reach an agreement -- and both sides are working very hard to achieve a positive outcome," Eastern Michigan University administration said in a written statement. "We look forward to continued negotiations with the union in the days ahead.”

EMU-AAUP members will continue their public negotiation campaign by conducting an informational picket on Sep.2 at 6 p.m at Rynearson Stadium for the Eagle's home opening football game.